Saturday, April 6, 2013

Frank Crumit

Here's a brief look at a forgotten legend in pop music.  Frank Crumit was a renowned singer of comedic songs back in the 1920's and 30's, though most people these days have no clue about who he was.  I'm not going to write a lengthy biography of him, but you can look him up easily enough.  You can even find many of his songs online for free, as most of them are in the public domain now.

I personally have several of his 78RPM records, including the famous "I've Got The Profiteering Blues," recorded around 1920, written about the hyper-inflation that followed the first World War.

A few other great songs you might find amusing are "A Gay Caballero," and "There's No One With Endurance Like The Man Who Sells Insurance," as well as the epic "Abdul Abulbul Amir," (which had many sequels).

For those who are familiar with the financial history behind the roaring twenties and the great depression, you'll really appreciate "A Tale of the Ticker."

Many of you will recall the drunken favorite "Little Brown Jug," and, of course, there's always the wild and wacky "Prune Song."

It's not for everyone all the time, but these ancient oldies are worth a listen or two.  So, check out a few of them today at archive.org.

3 comments:

  1. Stopping by from A-Z!

    I'm a fan of the oldies! My favorites probably come from the 1940s, but I really liked "There's No One with Endurance Like the Man Who Sells Insurance."

    Thanks for introducing me Frank Crumit!

    Happy writing!

    Sam
    Writing Through College

    ReplyDelete
  2. Litte Brown Jug seems to ring a bell, but not sure about the rest. Fantastic read, thanks for bringing back pop music from the '20s and '30s. I am a child of the 70s and teen of the 80s, but enjoy all era music. And there's nothing like a little piece of history.
    Silvia @ Silvia Writes

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have never heard of Frank, but I love the titles to his music.
    I'm learning so many interesting facts during this challenge.
    Connie
    A to Z buddy
    Peanut Butter and Whine

    ReplyDelete