Monday, February 25, 2013

Submissions Stagnate

It hasn't been that long since I announced the Veterans of the Future Wars anthology, and initial response was fair.  We had a few reprints and one unpublished story offered.  Of those, one is likely to garner an acceptance in the next few weeks, though I've already let the others go because they just didn't fit.

This past week, no stories have been submitted.  This is to be expected, as writers haven't had time to get qualified submissions written.  I have heard from several authors who are currently working on stories for this anthology, and as the word spreads about this collection there will no doubt be more than enough material sent in.

There really aren't enough markets out there for military sci-fi, so there is a diminished supply of unpublished short stories sitting on people's hard drives.  If there's no market, why write it, correct?  So, for the most part, I expect to see stories written from scratch specifically for this anthology, while in other cases people often write stories and then look for a suitable market.  In some ways, that's good.  We'll have stories truly tailored for the collection.

I am mulling over the possibility putting together several other Martinus Publishing anthologies on various themes, though I don't want to spread myself too thin.  Being an editor isn't as easy as it looks.

3 comments:

  1. Best of luck in gathering the needed submissions you are looking for. I'll tweet about it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I let some authors know about this, sounds pretty interesting. Good thinking on not spreading yourself too thin, I've seen quite a few small presses expand too quickly and struggle.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks, guys, it's a big help. Spreading the word is the biggest hurdle in the writing & publishing business.

    ReplyDelete