Friday, September 23, 2011

West of the Warlock Q&A

On the night of September 15th, the West of the Warlock book release chat party was held.  It was a fun experience, and I got to converse with some of my fans.  The week leading up to the chat, the Hall Brothers asked for questions that they’d spring on me during the chat, and we had some good ones.  For those of you who didn’t have the chance to attend, I’m going to repost a few of the more memorable questions, and my answers to each.  Note that both questions and answers are a bit paraphrased & edited, as I don’t have a transcript of the evening’s chat.

Q: What was harder to write, the Fantasy elements or the Western elements?
A:  While both were fun to write, the Western elements seemed to take a little more effort.  Mood was also a factor, as some days I felt more like writing fantasy, but others where I was in more of a western state of mind.

Q: Do you think cross-genre stories are a passing fad or a lasting trend?
A: I am of the opinion that we’re due to see a lot more cross-genre blending in the future.  Keep in mind, Sci-Fi was once a “fad,” as were all the other genres that have arisen.  It’s hard to keep literature boxed up nice and neat, and more people are looking to broaden their horizons with new, different material.  I know there are people who can’t stand straight Westerns who enjoyed West of the Warlock, as there are people who abhor Fantasy but still enjoy the Fantasy Western.

Q: Who would you get to play Sheriff Doliber in the movie version?
A: I haven’t given it all that much thought, so spur of the moment I went with Nathan Fillion.  Really, he’s a great actor, and would do the role justice, though by the time West of the Warlock hits Hollywood, I think he may be too old.  If by chance it happens sooner rather than later, he’s booked up with Castle, at any rate.

Q: Who’s your favorite Wyatt Earp?
A: Kevin Costner is my personal pick.  Though the movie wasn’t completely accurate with the history, it was a good attempt at showing the whole life of the famous lawman.

There were a lot more questions asked, but these were some of the more interesting ones.  It was a really great experience, and I hope to do this again in the future with my next book release.

So, have any questions of your own to ask?

1 comment:

  1. What a fun Q & A. Costner was my favorite Wyatt Earp as well. However, Val Kilmer was my favorite Doc Holliday.

    ReplyDelete