Tuesday, March 22, 2011

Tri-Chip Cookies

As I continue along with my mission to lose weight, I realize how much delicious food I have learned to prepare over the years. It started at an early age, as I often found the need to cook what I wanted, because it was the only way to satisfy my greedy stomach and taste buds. One problem is, I'm pretty good at cooking, and I like to eat it.

While I must limit myself, there's no reason I should hoard my knowledge, so today I'd like to share with you a cookie recipe that I've used in recent years. This is a variation on several different recipes found in various books, so don't be surprised if it sounds familiar.

What y'all need:
2 sticks of soft butter (you can use margarine, but it sucks!)
1 cup of sugar
½ cup brown sugar (light or dark, whichever you prefer)
2 ½ cups flour (white is standard, but you can try whole wheat, it's good)
1 teaspoon baking soda
1 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon vanilla
2 eggs
½ cup milk chocolate chips
½ cup white chocolate chips
½ cup butterscotch chips

Cooks, start your stoves! Preheat oven to 400F (I personally use a wood cook stove, but I doubt many of you have that).

Sift your flour, salt, and baking soda into a large mixing bowl. If you don't have a sifter, get one. It really makes a difference with your baking. You'll be amazed at the little lumps and stuff that can form in any and all flour, and it helps to blend dry things when you strain them through the sifter together. Need an example? Check this out: Mrs. Anderson's 5-Cup Stainless-Steel Crank Flour Sifter.(It is similar to the one I use, but mine is a vintage Bromwell.)

Next, put your butter in a bowl with your white sugar and blend it together with a fork or Pastry Blender.Once all the white sugar has been mixed into the butter, add your brown sugar and do the same thing. Once that is done, add your eggs and vanilla until you have one big blob.

Now you're ready to combine the two mixes. Dump your butter/sugar mix into the flour and stir, stir, stir. Once it's all one big tan blob, throw in your chocolate chips. Mix them in, and that should be about it.  You should end up with one big slightly-sticky lump.

Using a fork or spoon, rip out little globs (about 1½-2 inches around) onto your baking sheets (use lightly greased or nonstick pans). You can fit about a dozen per sheet, and this recipe makes about 4 dozen, so you'll be reusing the pans if you don't have 4 of them (duh).

Stick your cookies in the oven for 10-15 minutes, or until lightly brown. If you burn them, don't say I didn't warn you, but also be careful not to pull them out too soon, or you'll get these moist, yucky things that taste half raw. (Cookie dough ice-cream is the dumbest invention ever, how can people eat that? Oh, wait, is the mic still on? Oh, crap!)

Well, there you have it: A delicious cookie recipe suitable for anyone who isn't on a special diet. Bake them for the kids, grandchildren, your shut-in neighbor down the street, your girlfriend, your boyfriend, your mom & dad, or just for yourself (but be careful not to pig out, they're so good).

That's it for this edition of Comrade Cooking. Now go out and spread zee wealth!

No comments:

Post a Comment