Monday, March 14, 2011

False Promise (Minstrel Mondays)

When I was first considering a run for elected office, a lot of things were going through my head. Thoughts of the political system in general made me wonder if it would be a good idea. I asked myself, how could I win at a game where the rules are often skewed by disparate interests on all sides, where honor and integrity are commonly irrelevant? Well, I couldn't, obviously, as was proven by my failed run for the Maine legislature in 2008. It was probably for the best, as I have better things to do than become a politician.

While I was mulling it all over in 2007, I wrote this little poem, which expressed my feelings at the time. I hope you can find something of value in these words.

They don't want to hear the lies
the truth is what they seek,
until they hear a truth they dislike.
When reality is harsh,
and you can't have your candy store,
just run to a false prophet
spewing forth promises
for a million special interests in constant contradiction,
none of which bear fruit.


False promise,
the key to power and prestige.
you can't get it for real,
so you lie and steal it from the
unwitting populace of peons.


No choice is given
when all play by the
same crooked rules.
Break away, rewrite the
book on victory, and
tell it like it is.


That's what we all want,
the blunt observer, unwilling
to compromise or postulate platitudes
for people who want a handout or a kickback.


People seek leaders, but
it's not what they need.
A representative, not a ruler,
that is what one must be.
Throw away the domineering games,
and forget what you think you know.
The politics of politics is
a deadly road,
a source of endless fraud.


I'm no politician,
I guess that's why
they won't let me play.

1 comment:

  1. Honesty and politics were never meant to be a couple.
    Great poem! Be glad you didn't get elected.

    ReplyDelete